If you are looking for hypothetical questions, you’ve come to the right place!
I’ve put together a list of creative, fun, and occasionally thought provoking hypothetical questions for you to enjoy.
Do you prefer Spanish? Click here for “Hypothetical questions” en español.
Feel free to jump around the list and pick and choose the questions that you enjoy the most. There is no order to them so you can start anywhere in the list.
Hypothetical question list
1. If you were a transformer, what vehicle would you turn into?
2. What laws would you abolish if you could? What laws would you create?
3. If extra lives were a thing in the real world, how would you get them?
4. If you were a food, what food would you be?
5. What animal would be way better if it was covered in scales?
6. If you could design a planet, what would your perfect planet look like?
7. What would be your strategy for a zombie apocalypse?
8. If you could be the CEO of any company, what company would you choose?
9. What two animals would you like to switch the sounds they make?
10. Would you want to permanently feel zero pain if given the chance?
11. What cartoon world do you wish you could live in for a week?
12. What do you wish grew on trees?
13. What weird thing would you make socially acceptable if you could?
14. If every time you snapped your fingers, you would instantly be transported to a random point in humanity’s timeline, would you snap your fingers? If so, how often?
15. If you were perpetually surrounded by one aroma (besides your natural smell) which you and everyone around you could smell, what would it be?
16. If you could level up any aspect of yourself (i.e., strength, intelligence, charisma, etc.) but you had to decrease another aspect of yourself by the same amount, what aspects would you increase, and which would you decrease?
17. If humans lost the ability to see all color except one, which color would you want to survive?
18. If you were a dictator of a small country, what crazy dictator things would you do?
19. If your sheets had to be made of deli meats, what meat would want them made of?
20. If you could put wings on any species of animal, what animal would you choose?
21. How would the world be different if zeppelins had caught on and were the dominant form of air travel?
22. Every day 12 things appear in your backyard, they are random, but all start with a letter of your choosing. What letter do you choose?
23. If money wasn’t a concern where would you live, what would you do, and what would your lifestyle look like?
24. If when you died, you could cease to exist or wander the earth forever never being able to interact with anything, which would you choose?
25. If you could move anywhere and still have a livable wage, where would you like to move?
26. If you could get a ticket to any show or event, what would you want a ticket to?
27. If you could go back in time and give your parents advice before you were born, what advice would you give them?
28. If everyone was mentally incapable of lying, how would that change the world?
29. If you could be invisible, but it would mean being permanently invisible, would you want to be?
30. If you had to do a dance that had never been done in the history of mankind or be killed, what kind of dance would you do?
31. If you could erase one thing from existence, even the memory of the thing, what would it be?
32. If you were required by law to get a full body tattoo, what would you get tattooed over your entire body?
33. If you were head of product development at a major fast food chain, what food abomination would you create?
34. If you could change the sounds your body makes (i.e., burp, fart, yawn, sneeze, etc.), what new sound effects would replace the normal sounds of your body?
35. If you were forced into gladiatorial combat, but could only choose a weapon that isn’t typically considered a weapon, what non-conventional weapon would you choose?
36. If you could replace any word in common usage with another word and no one would know, which word would you choose?
37. If you could go back and hands down win any argument you’ve had with anyone, what argument would you choose to win?
38. If you were reincarnated as an animal based on your personality, what animal do you think you would come back as?
39. If you had to be haunted by a ghost for the rest of your life but could choose which dead person the ghost would be, who would you choose as your ghost?
40. If people were required to post the bad as well as the good stuff that happened to them on social media, would social media platforms be more or less popular than they are now?
41. If you worked in the entertainment industry and had a pseudonym, what would your alias be?
42. What futuristic thing from a sci-fi movie or book do you really wish existed right now?
43. If you had an animal or plant renamed in your honor, what would you want to carry your name?
44. If you could create any one reality TV show, and it was guaranteed to air, what show would you want to put on TV?
45. If you had to get a tail, what tail would you want and what would you use it for?
46. If you were a superhero/villain, but could only have superpowers that weren’t already taken, what new powers would you choose and what would your name be?
47. If you could be a top tier professional athlete in any sport, what sport would you play and why?
48. If you were given the rather lame superpower of being able to make any food you touch go bad, what would you do with that power?
49. You can transport one furious elephant into any point in history, where would you put it?
50. If someone offered you $10,000 every time they punched you in the face, how many times would you want to be hit?
51. If someone left you a cottage somewhere in the countryside in their will, where would you want the cottage to be located?
52. Would you want to live in a world where everyone’s thoughts appeared as text above their head?
53. If you could start a secret society, what would be its goals and who would you include?
54. If you could only eat the same breakfast, the same lunch (different than breakfast), and the same dinner (different than lunch) every day, what three meals would you choose?
55. What two-hour chunk of history would you want a video of if you could have video of any point in history?
56. If you could choose any job to be replaced by robots, what job would you make obsolete?
57. Would you choose to become more intelligent if it meant you were generally unhappier?
58. If you were obscenely wealthy, what weird eccentricities would you indulge in?
59. If your dog or cat suddenly spoke one sentence and then never spoke again, what would be the most unsettling sentence they could say?
60. How would the world change if there was no internal monologue and everything you thought, you spoke out loud?
61. What movie worthy heist would you pull if you knew, in the end, you would get away with it?
62. If you could snap your fingers and make any one species go extinct, which species would you choose?
63. Would you want a house where every wall was made of giant TVs if you could choose the channels but never turn them off?
64. If you started an activist group, what would it fight for and what would it be called?
65. How would our view of space change if the moon was actually made of cheese?
66. Would you rather be incredibly witty and outgoing or quiet and incredibly intelligent or just stay the way you are now?
67. What would be the first few things you would try if you found out you were completely impervious to physical harm?
68. If you could choose a nickname and have people call you it with complete seriousness no matter how ridiculous, what nickname would you want?
69. How would you change how you acted if you knew 100% that the world was a simulation?
70. If you were given any one luxury item, but you couldn’t sell it, what luxury item would you want?
71. If you could live in anyone’s head for fifteen minutes (Being John Malkovich style), who would you choose?
72. If given a chance, would you drink milk from animals we usually don’t drink milk from? (i.e., bat milk, cheetah milk, monkey milk, etc.)
73. If you were the next pied piper, what animal would you want to be able to compel to follow you?
74. If someone created a bar or cafe with just your tastes in mind, what would it look like?
75. If you were offered $50,000 to dance for 2 minutes with no music in front of a stadium full of people, would you do it? What type of dancing would you do?
76. What would you do if you had your own intergalactic space ship roughly the size of a house?
77. If you could choose one element to control, what element would you choose?
78. Would you take a weekend job for 20k a year to be a human scarecrow and chase birds from fields?
79. If you were a fashion icon and whatever you wore would become a fashion trend, what fashion trends would you start?
80. If you could body swap with any person for 24 hours, who would you choose?
81. What shape would you want your house to be if it could be any shape and still function?
82. If you could ask three questions to anyone in history, who would you choose and what questions would you ask? Assuming they would understand your questions and you would understand their answers.
83. If you could put just one word into any document in history, what word would you choose and where would you put it?
84. What would be the most interesting or exciting thing to make a floor in a house out of?
85. If you were tasked with redesigning your country’s flag, how would you change it?
86. If you were chosen to be the first human to make contact with aliens, would you want to?
87. If you died and had to choose one place to haunt for the rest of eternity, where would you choose to haunt?
88. You get one text, no more than 160 characters, that gets sent to everyone’s phone. What does it say?
89. Would you sign up to be a colonist on another planet if it meant you would never be able to return to earth?
90. If you were a 90’s cartoon evil villain, where would your base be and what would it look like / have inside? What would your henchmen / henchwomen wear as uniforms?
91. If you were the king of an ancient civilization what would you want your tomb to look like?
92. If you could call yourself when you were fifteen years old for a twenty-minute conversation, what would you tell yourself?
93. If you could choose what the next crazy fake health trend was, what health trend would you create?
94. Everyone always thinks they’d be royalty or a knight if they were born in Medieval times, but let’s be honest, you probably wouldn’t be. So, what kind of peasant do you think you’d be if you were born in medieval times?
95. If your life was made into a movie which actor would play you?
96. What kind of movie or TV show would you make if money / skill wasn’t an object?
97. What amusement park do you wish existed?
98. What cute cartoon character would be absolutely terrifying if it existed in the real world?
99. What animal would be the cutest if it was the size of a chihuahua?
100. If you could implant one false memory in the minds of everyone in your country, what would that memory be?
101. If you could make one thing that is now legal, illegal, and one thing that is illegal, legal, what laws would change?
102. If you could put a new word in the dictionary, what would it be and what would be the definition?
103. If you were on death row but could choose any way to be executed as long as you died within a couple of days, how would you want to die?
104. What sport would you like to compete in professionally if you had the ability and skill to?
105. What would be great and what would be terrible about all humans having translucent skin and muscles so that you could see all the organs working?
106. If you had a symbol or crest that represented you, what would it look like?
107. If you had to suffer through a massive natural disaster but could choose which disaster to face, which would you choose?
108. Would you choose to know your future if it meant forgetting your past?
109. If you had to join the circus, what type of performer would you be?
110. If you could live under any form of government, what type of government would you choose? (Don’t go with this one if you have or one of your friends have strong political opinions.)
111. What kind of business would you like to start if you were given a chance?
112. If you could control your dreams, what would you dream about?
113. What would you do if a teaspoon of your tears could be used to cure cancer in one person?
114. Your superpower is that you can give phobias to people, what fun and interesting things would you make people afraid of?
115. If you could tack on 100 years to the end of your life, but you would be old and frail during those 100 years, would you still do it?
116. If you could deck out one room in your house in any way you’d like, which room would you choose and what would you do to it?
117. If aliens took over and humans were put into zoos, what would you want in your zoo enclosure?
118. If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you visit and why?
119. If you could merge two games together and make a new one, what games would you choose and what would be the result?
120. If hide and seek were a major sport in the Olympics, what would it be like?
121. If you could change what people say after someone sneezes, what would be the funniest thing for people to say?
122. What would be the cutest non-conventional military unit that would still function as an effective fighting unit?
123. If your hands were frozen in one position or gesture, what position would want them stuck in?
124. If you could accomplish simple tasks while sleeping and still get a good night’s sleep, what would you want your body to do while you were sleeping?
125. If Jedi were real, but you had to give up all your possessions and never have a romantic relationship, would you still become a Jedi?
126. What would you do if you were suddenly given world-class hacking knowledge and ability?
127. If you could speak two other languages fluently, what languages would you want to speak?
128. If you won the lottery, what would NOT change?
129. If you could bring back any canceled TV series, which TV show would you choose to bring back?
130. If you had to prove you were human and not an AI in 5 minutes via a text conversation, how would you do it?
131. If you could go back and uninvent something, what invention would you erase from history?
132. If you could know the truth behind any one secret or mystery, what would it be?
133. If you could rename any five animals, what would you rename and what would their new names be?
134. If you had an endless supply of LEGOs but couldn’t sell them, what would you build?
135. If your salary was doubled, what would you do with the extra income?
136. If you found out you were going to die in a week, what would you do with your remaining time?
137. If all animals became as intelligent as humans and were miraculously able to speak, what jobs would be well suited to which animals?
138. If you could make one thing taste like another, what would it be?
139. If you could choose any mode of transportation, no matter how ridiculous, what method of transportation would you want to use to get around town?
140. Assuming you don’t get seasick, what would your dream sailboat or boat look like and what would you name it?
141. How would the world change if mammals (including humans) laid eggs instead of giving birth?
142. If you were tasked with making school more fun, but it still had to be effective at teaching students, what would you change?
143. If you could make a medicine that would cure one thing, and that thing could be anything, what would your miracle medicine cure be?
144. If you could be born again in any country, as any race, and as any gender, what would you choose?
145. What fantasy creature would you love to bring into the real world?
146. If you could afford a live-in butler or maid, would you want one?
147. What sound do you think you would miss most if you went deaf?
148. What animal would you create if you could design and bring into the world, one new creature?
149. If you could know when and how someone would die just by shaking their hands but couldn’t change their fate, how would you use that power?
150. If you could harmoniously unite two countries into one, what two countries would you choose?
151. If you could go back and undo one thing you did, what would you undo?
152. If you were able to throw a party and money wasn’t an issue, what kind of party would you throw?
153. If you could make any non-edible thing edible to humans, what would you choose?
154. When would you be born if you could choose to be born at another time?
155. If androids were a thing, how do you think people would treat them?
156. If you had a handful of modeling clay and whatever you made would become real until you willed it back into clay, what would you use it for / make?
157. If you could control one aspect of your body that usually is autoregulated (i.e., body temperature, digestion, heart rate, etc.), what system would you control?
158. If you were a professional wrestler in the WWE, what would your name and identity be?
159. What would you do with a real bag of holding?
160. If you put out a brand of beer, wine, soda, or another beverage, what would it be, what would you call it, and how would you differentiate your brand?
161. If you could get every country and every person in the world to work on one project or goal, what would it be?
162. If you could design a new holiday, what holiday would you create and what traditions would it have?
163. If you could be fluent in four languages, which languages would you choose?
164. If you could know the internet history of any one individual, who would it be?
165. If you could redesign the human species, what parts would you add on or take out?
166. If you could become three times bigger or fifty times smaller at will, which do you think you would spend more time as, big you or small you? Why?
167. If you could choose any vehicle to drive around for a couple of hours, which vehicle would you choose?
168. If you had a pen with magical ink inside, what would happen when you wrote something?
169. You can choose anyone in the world to become friends with, who would you choose?
170. If you could be an NPC in any videogame, what game would you choose to reside in?
PDF and image of 170 Hypothetical questions
Here is the PDF of 170 Hypothetical questions.
And here is the image for the questions: