If you are looking for information about closed-ended questions, and tons of examples, you’ve come to the right place.
First, let’s look at what closed-ended questions are, then we can get on to the examples, and finally, a colossal list of closed-ended questions.
Click here for this page en español.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
What are closed-ended questions?
Closed-ended questions are questions that can be answered with a short, fixed response. For example, an answer might be “Yes.”, “No.”, “Blue.”, or “The Great Fire of London”.
Closed-ended questions are often used in multiple-choice tests or surveys, especially when computers are used to process the test or survey.
This is because having fixed data points like “Yes.”, “No.”, or “1998”, makes it easier to grade or to gather useful information from fixed data points. It’s a lot easier to make a graph or chart with questions like “Do you prefer sunsets or sunrises?” rather than “How do sunsets make you feel?”.
The opposite of a closed-ended question is an open-ended question. You can check out our page on open-ended questions to find out more.
Now let’s look at some closed-ended question examples.
Closed-ended question examples
- How many hours of sleep do you get on an average night?
- What shape best represents your personality?
- Can a utopian society exist?
As you can see, closed-ended questions can be mundane or profound. Even though a closed-ended question might beg for more information, it can be answered with a fixed answer (yes/no/parallelogram) or an answer that is on a fixed scale (like how many hours).
100 Closed-ended questions
- Do you believe good luck charms work?
- What is/was your favorite history in school?
- What social media platform do you use most often?
- Do you like where you live?
- What company do you despise most?
- Will we ever discover extraterrestrial life?
- Have you ever gone skydiving?
- What hobby do you spend the most time on?
- How often do you brush your teeth?
- What sport do you watch most often?
- Do you like Pina Coladas?
- Do you like getting stuck in the rain?
- What’s the opposite of a penguin?
- Are you an organ donor?
- Do you consider yourself to be a good cook?
- Are you happy with where you live?
- What’s your favorite possession?
- Are you an easy-going person?
- What’s your worst habit?
- How many hours of free time do you have on an average weekday?
- Do you think humans will colonize another planet or moon in the next 100 years?
- Do you look through the bathroom drawers when you go to the bathroom in someone’s house?
- What emotion do you feel most?
- How many cups of coffee do you usually drink in a day?
- Do you consider yourself to be a goal-oriented person?
- What grocery store do you shop at most often?
- Do you think other intelligent life exists in the universe?
- Do you listen to podcasts?
- Who is your favorite superhero?
- About how many books do you read on average in a year?
- How many cans of soda do you drink in an average week?
- Do you prefer big parties or small gatherings?
- Are you more of an introvert or extrovert?
- Do you think the future will be better or worse than the present?
- Have you ever gotten a speeding ticket?
- Do you usually wear a watch?
- Can you wiggle your ears?
- Would you be the leader of your country if asked?
- Do you regularly play any musical instrument?
- Do you plan on leaving the country for vacation, business, or some other reason in the next year?
- At what age do you think you’ll retire?
- Do you consider yourself to be more or less stressed than the average person?
- Are you a good person?
- Have you ever changed your car’s oil?
- On average, how many hours a day do you spend looking at a screen?
- What is the funniest word you can think of?
- What is your favorite type of international food?
- Should people be able to sell their organs?
- Are you good at fixing things around the house?
- Do you own a car?
- Do you volunteer at a charity?
- Do you prefer the woods or the beach?
- What country has the most interesting history?
- What’s your favorite key on the keyboard?
- How many movies do you watch on average in a week?
- On a scale of 1 – 10, how corrupt do you think your government is?
- Do you put a toilet paper roll on with the paper unrolling from the top or the bottom?
- Can you swim?
- Are you taller than both your parents?
- Have you ever dyed your hair?
- Have you ever broken a bone?
- Does free will exist?
- What’s the single most important thing a person can do to improve themselves?
- Do you take a lot of risks, or do you play it safe?
- Do you have a full or part-time job?
- Which news agency is the least biased?
- At what age do you think the average person is mature enough to make all of their own life decisions?
- How many siblings do you have?
- What app do you use most on your phone?
- What is your favorite ice cream flavor?
- Have you run into something while texting?
- What year were you born?
- Are you a cup half full or a cup half empty kind of person?
- What holiday do you enjoy celebrating the most?
- What do you fear most?
- Where would you most like to live?
- Are you more of a night person or a morning person?
- Do you believe animals have emotions similar to human emotions?
- Do you sing in the shower?
- How many times a week do you exercise?
- Who spent the most time raising you as a child?
- Did you vote in the last major election?
- Who is the most important person in your life?
- Do you like road trips?
- What programming languages, if any, do you know?
- Have you ever surfed?
- How many languages do you speak at a conversational level?
- Have you been camping in the last 12 months?
- Would you want someone to write a biography of your life?
- Did you like your hometown while you were growing up?
- Do you think some people are naturally luckier than others?
- How long is your commute to work?
- How many pets do you currently have?
- Do you prefer taking baths or showers?
- Have you ever left your country?
- What’s your favorite book genre?
- Where did you meet your best friend?
- If grass was a different color, what color would you want it to be?
- On a scale of 1 – 10, how creative are you?
- All things considered, is your country getting better or worse?
For more closed-ended questions check out our this or that questions.
Closed-ended questions PDF and image
- Here is PDF for this closed-ended questions page.
- And here is the image for just the closed-ended questions.